Hughes, Trevor Owen

Trevor Owen Hughes was born 11th May, 1893 at 22, Mumforth Street, Flint and baptised on the 5th June, 1893 at St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint. He was the eldest of two children to Thomas Hughes and Emma ( Jones).

When Thomas and Emma married in St Mary’s Parish Church on 22nd June, 1892 Thomas was a widower, his first wife being a Miss Redfern, with whom he had a son in 1875 named Evan Thomas.

In 1895 their daughter Annie Nesta was born while the family were still living at 22, Mumforth Street, however, by the time of the 1901 census they had moved to the Volunteer Arms at 62, Mount Street, which for some unknown reason later became No. 76. On 21st October, 1902 Thomas died at the age of 52 and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery. He was a native of Halkyn and had been employed as a collier. On her husband’s death Emma became licensee of the pub.

Trevor was educated at the Flint National and Holywell County Schools and on leaving became an apprentice joiner with Mr Alfred Bibby Lloyd, builder and contractor, Halkyn Street, Flint.

The 1915 electoral register revealed he was a boarder at the Volunteer Arms sharing a first-floor furnished bedroom and paying a rent of 20 shillings to his mother.

He never married and enlisted in the army at Flint in September 1914. He was promoted to Sergeant, circa June 1915. After a lengthy training, during which Sergeant Hughes applied his abilities when superintending detachments of men in the erection of military huts at Salisbury Plain, he left with the Battalion for the Front in France and landed at Boulogne 19th July, 1915.

He was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of Loos on 25th September, 1915, and the sad news was received by his mother on Saturday 2nd October.

Private Harold Jackson, son of Mrs Jackson, of the Blue Bell Inn, Castle Street, wrote a letter to Mrs Hughes expressing sympathy: “He always led a clean and good life out here, and he met his death doing his duty bravely. We all know what a sacrifice you have made–the same as many more mothers who have lost their sons. We pray to God to give you strength to bear the burden of sorrow.”

Private Charles Bennett, of the same Battalion, and who was near Hughes at the time he received the fatal wound, wrote to inform his friends that Sergeant Hughes died like a hero.

It was reported that Sergeant Hughes was as promising a man in civil life as he was a soldier. He was thorough and straightforward in all things.

As a joinery apprentice he studied for the London Guilds of Arts and Crafts, gaining certificates in various departments. He was an old CLB-ite (probably Church Lad’s Brigade), a member of the Church of England Men’s Society (CEMS), church choir, and Sunday school, and an active member of the Flint Castle Lodge of Oddfellows. His death was the first of a soldier connected with the Lodge and the flag at the Oddfellows’ Hall was hoisted half-mast on hearing the news.

He has no known grave but is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France on Panels 50 to 52.

He is remembered on three war memorials: Flint Town, St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint and Oddfellows Hall, Flint. He is also remembered on his parents’ headstone in the Northop Road Cemetery (Grave 4, Line 10, South Side).

He was awarded the 1914–15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal and is also commemorated on the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.

Trevor’s mother, Emma, died suddenly on 26th November, 1936 at her residence, 76, Mount Street, which was formerly the Volunteer Arms, but became defunct in 1919.

Mrs Hughes, who was in her 81st year, was making herself ready to go and visit some friends when she complained of feeling unwell. She was ill only a few minutes and died with almost tragic suddenness. Mrs Hughes was a native of Flint and had resided in the town for the greater part of her life. She was well known and held in high regard by all who came in contact with her. She was a faithful member of St Mary’s Parish Church and was one of the senior members of the Mothers’ Union. The funeral took place the following Monday and she was buried with her husband.

Learn more about the other soldiers on the Flint Memorial

Back to top