Thomas (Tommy) Hughes was born in Llanasa 24th July, 1896, and was the second of eight children to William Hughes and Susannah (Williams).
For most of his life Tommy lived at 1, Castle Dyke Street, Flint then moved with the family to 55, Sydney Street, Flint. His occupation is unknown and at the time of his enlistment in the army circa August 1917, he was still a bachelor
He was wounded and gassed in action in France and died 24th November, 1918 at Fargo Hospital, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire, and the news of his death reached Flint the following day and was reported in the County Herald on the 29th November.
The sad news reached Flint on Monday that Private Hughes had died. It is only a week or two since he was home on Furlough, and he had not been long back at camp, when his father was called away to see him, a telegram informing him that his son was dangerously ill. On Sunday night the gallant soldier passed away, from pneumonia, which followed an attack of the influenza. Widespread regret has been caused by the sad intelligence, for Mr Hughes was well known in Flint, and our readers will sympathise with the parents in their sad bereavement. He was buried five days later, in the grave of his brother William, who died in August 1910 aged 18 months, in the Northop Road Cemetery, Flint, (Grave 7, Line 19, South Side).
He is remembered on three war memorials: Flint Town, St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint and Oddfellows Hall, Flint,
and was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal. He is also commemorated on the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
Thomas’s father, William, who was a native of Abergele, died 25th August, 1950, aged 77, and is buried with sons William and Thomas. Mr Hughes came to Flint in the late 1890s to join the Flintshire Constabulary. He later became a works policeman for the United Alkali Company. Later still he became a watchman at Castle Works, and though he retired he was recalled to the position at the outbreak of the 1939 war, finally retiring at the age of 75. He was a staunch member of St Catherine’s Welsh Church, and was also a member of the Oddfellows’ Society and the Borough Workingmen’s Club.
William’s wife, Susannah, was born in Llanddulas, Denbighshire, and died on 26th November, 1955, aged 82, at her home in 29, Sydney Street, after a long illness, and was buried with her husband. Mrs Hughes came to reside in Flint with her husband and was a member of the Mothers’ Union and St Catherine’s Welsh Church.
Mr and Mrs Hughes had nine grandchildren, one of whom was killed in WW2.