William (Will) Thomas Jones was born in Bagillt on 21st September, 1889. He was the eldest of five children to William Charles Jones and Mary Ann (Lowe).
William Charles was born in Greenfield and Mary Ann in Kelloe, Durham and were married at St James’ Parish Church, Holywell on 20th April, 1889.
Soon after Will was born the family moved to 6, Earl Street, Flint and some years later to 32, Earl Street before eventually settling at 10, Holywell Street.
Will enlisted in Flint in September, 1914 and landed in France on 27th September 1915. On 22nd October his parents received a Regulation Military Postcard informing them he had been wounded.
He was killed in action on 16th August, 1916 and has no known grave but is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, France on Pier and Face 4A. He is remembered on three war memorials – Flint Town, St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint and Oddfellows Hall, Flint. He is also commemorated on the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal and the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette 20th October 1916).
ANOTHER FLINT SOLDIER KILLED
(County Herald 1st September, 1916)
On Friday morning the information, unofficial, was conveyed to Flint, in a communication, to the effect that Sergeant Wm Thomas Jones, whose home is at 10, Holywell Street, Flint, had been killed in action abroad. The deceased was 25 years of age. A Private E Williams, of Bagillt, who is also a member of the same Battalion as deceased, writing to a friend in Bagillt, and who communicated the sad intelligence of the death to the parents of the deceased, stated the Battalion was engaged in making a charge upon a German trench when Jones was shot in the head and died in the course of a short time. The death was greatly lamented by the members of the Company who knew the deceased, and it could be safely stated that he died “a good Britisher.” Deceased, who before enlistment was employed in one of the local factories, was the son of Mr and Mrs William Charles Jones, of the address named, and who have the sympathies of the residents of the Borough in their bereavement. There has been received confirmation of the death of Sergeant W Thomas Jones, by his parents, in a very sympathetic letter from the officer of the deceased.
Will’s parents had forwarded to them from the Front letters sent to him, by his superior officers, congratulating him on his distinguished conduct in the field on 20th July, 1916.
The citation is as follows: 15722 Sgt W T Jones, Royal Welsh Fusiliers- For conspicuous gallantry in action. When his officer had been wounded he led his men on with great coolness. When ordered to retire he reorganised the men of the Company in his vicinity and superintended the digging of a trench. His cool courage was very marked, and he never faltered in his duty, although the handle of his entrenching tool was blown away by a shell.
Mr and Mrs Jones received the DCM in January the following year. It was the second DCM won by a Flint soldier. The other being Corporal Ernie Joyce of Oakenholt.
Mary Ann died on 30th November, 1938, aged 79, and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery with her son, Edmund Arthur, who died in August, 1893 aged 2. She was a native of Bagillt, being a daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Edmund Lowe, Tyn y Pystill, Bagillt, but she had lived practically all her life in Flint, where she was well known and highly esteemed. She was a member of St Catherine’s Welsh Church.
William Charles died at Lluesty Infirmary, Holywell on 18th March, 1941. An inquest was held at the infirmary two days later and the Coroner (Mr Humphrey Llew Jones) returned a verdict that deceased had died from congestion of the lungs, myo cardial degeneration accelerated by injuries accidentally sustained in falling.
Obituary: The late Mr Jones, who was 76 years of age, was a native of Bagillt, but had spent practically the whole of his life in Flint. He was employed for some years by the old United Alkali Company Ltd, and later was employed by Messrs Courtaulds at Aber Works until 1925, when he left owing to his health. He was a member of St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint, and of the Bagillt Court of Foresters.