Hammond, David

David Hammond was born in Flint in March, 1892, and was the third of six children to David Hammond and Emma Elizabeth (Jones). The Hammond family resided at 3, The Marsh, Flint for a number of years then by the 1901 census had moved to Cross Town in Knutsford, Cheshire. In 1911 they were living at 1, Armitage Place, Rigby Street, Altrincham.

The war began and David’s brothers, James and Robert, enlisted. James was a signaller with the 6th Battalion Loyal North Lancashires and Robert was a bugler with the 11th Service Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Mrs Hammond received a letter from James in mid-September, 1915, stating that he was quite well with his regiment at the Dardanelles. He related that he had had a startling experience, and certainly a very narrow escape from death. He was wearing his canteen slung at the back of him when a bullet struck it, and penetrated it. The canteen prevented the missile entering his back, and Hammond, whose regiment had been with the Battalion at the Dardanelles since the previous Christmas, certainly is of opinion that the canteen was the means of his life being saved. He was later admitted into one of the Malta Hospitals suffering from dysentery.

The following month Robert, who had been in France only one month, wrote stating he was an inmate of the Royal Inrmary, Leicester. He had been wounded in the head with a piece of shell and he had also another wound in the arm. He was suering from an attack of paralysis owing to the injuries. He was wounded again in June 1917.

David senior died on or about the 16th February, 1916, aged 55, and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery, Flint. He was born in Knutsford, Cheshire and was employed as a chemical labourer and was previously a domestic gardener.

David junior was living at The Green, Partington, Irlam, Lancashire when he enlisted on 26th February, 1916 at Stretford, Manchester, with the 3rd Battalion Cheshire Regiment. On enlistment he was 23 years and 11 months old, 5ft 5ins, chest 341⁄2ins, had blue eyes, brown hair and a ruddy complexion and his physical development and vision were good. His occupation was given as a labourer.

On 27th March, 1916 Private Hammond was posted to the Army Reserve. On 20th September, 1916, he was mobilised, and next day he was posted to the 3rd Battalion Cheshire Regiment, joining the battalion on the 22nd September.

On the 26th November, 1916 He married Annie Walters at St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint. Altrincham born Annie was residing at 2, Upper Queen Street, Flint and was a daughter of William Walters, labourer, and his wife Louisa, of 13, Police Street, Altrincham. David and Annie had no children.

Private Hammond was posted overseas on 13th January, 1917 and on 3rd May he was posted to the 12th Cheshires.

He died on 29th May, 1917, at No. 31, Casualty Clearing Station, Janes, Greece, from a shrapnel wound to the chest received in action at Salonika, and was buried in the Sarigol Military Cemetery, Kriston, Greece (Plot B, Grave 282).

He is remembered on two war memorials: St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint, and St Mary’s Parish Church, Partington, Manchester, and was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Annie was awarded a widow’s pension from the army of 13s 9d per week with effect from the 3rd December, 1917. After her husband’s death Annie went to live with her in laws, however by October 1919 she was living at 28, York Street, Altrincham. It is not known what became of her after that date.

David junior’s Flint-born mother, Emma Elizabeth, died on 4th October, 1926, aged 67, at 8, Princes Street, Flint, as a result of an accident, and was buried with her husband.

The evening following her death Mr F Llewellyn Jones, Coroner for Flintshire, held an inquest at the Town Hall, Flint, and was reported in the County Herald:

“Robert Hammond, a silkworker, residing at 8, Princes Street, identified the body as that of his mother, Emma Elizabeth Hammond. He was working nights some time ago when his mother had an accident in the backyard. After the accident she sat on the sofa for a while, and then they took her upstairs. The doctor saw her immediately. Mrs Mary Evans, 10, Princes Street, said she saw the deceased fall. She was crossing the yard about seven weeks ago. She was very feeble, and whilst walking she twisted round and fell on her back, with her leg under her. Dr J Humphry Williams said he was called to the deceased seven weeks last Friday. After examining her he came to the conclusion that she had a fracture of the left hip. He kept her in bed, and there seemed nothing of untoward danger, and she did well for a fortnight. She then had nervous prostration, and later bladder paralysis and bedsores, no doubt accelerated by the accident. He had told the son he could not give a death certificate. The Coroner said this was a case in which Dr Williams could not issue a certificate of death. There was no doubt in his (the Coroner’s) mind as to the cause of death, and he recorded a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.”

Learn more about the other soldiers on the Flint Memorial

Back to top