Randall Foulkes Morris was born in Flint in 1890 and baptised on 15th January, 1890 in St Mary’s Parish Church and was the fourth of 10 children to Edward Morris and Hannah (Jones).
Edward and Hannah were both born in Flint and were married on 4th February, 1883 at St Mary’s Parish Church. The family remained in Flint for many years residing at 10, Mount Street and 17, Chapel Street, and Edward was a labourer at the chemical works. Two of their children died in 1892 and 1896 and in the 1911 census Hannah and her eight children were living at 24, Wellington Avenue, Shotton. Randall was working at the Hawarden Bridge Ironworks. Hannah declared she was married in the census but Edward was missing and the trail went cold after that.
Hannah died 30th May, 1914 and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery.
Obituary: We regret to make the announcement of the death of Mrs Hannah Morris, the wife of Mr Edward Morris, chemical worker, residing in Mount Street, Flint. Deceased, who was 58 years of age, was a daughter of the late Mr David and Mrs Mary Jones of Swan Street, Flint, and a member of a highly respected family of the borough. She had for some considerable time been residing in Shotton, and of recent date had been an inpatient at a Liverpool hospital, where she underwent an operation. She returned to Shotton a fortnight ago, and her strength gradually failing the end came on Saturday last to the grief of the members of the family and several relatives. She leaves a widower, five sons and three daughters to mourn her loss. The funeral was yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon when the remains were conveyed from her residence at Wellington Avenue, Shotton, per road to Flint; and near the Welsh Wesleyan Chapel the cortege was met by many mourners, who included members of the Flint Ladies’ Club of which the deceased had been a member and representatives of the Flint Loyal Castle Lodge of Oddfellows. The Rev Canon Nicholas also attended, and accompanied the mournful procession to the St Catherine’s (Welsh) Church, where an impressive service was held. The Rev Humphrey Lloyd and Wilfred Griffith (curates) officiated; and the hymn “Rock of Ages” was very feelingly rendered. Mr. Voyce Jones, who was presiding at the organ, played the customary and appropriate selection as the remains were removed from the edifice to the hearse. The procession then went to the Cemetery, and there the same clergy officiating, the remains were consigned to their last resting place. The sad last obsequies were witnessed by a very large number of people who were contributing their last tokens of respect to one who had been a native, and who had earned the esteem of all who were acquainted with her.
Randall enlisted in Shotton and landed at Gallipoli on 28th June, 1915. He was killed in action on 7th August and buried in Shrapnel Valley Cemetery, Turkey (Plot I, Row F, Grave 6).
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal and is remembered on three war memorials – St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint, Connah’s Quay Town and Hawarden Village. He is also remembered on the St Deniol’s Parish Church, Hawarden Book of Remembrance and his mother’s headstone in Northop Road Cemetery (Grave 10 Line 10 North Side).