Benjamin Bevan was born 10th January, 1894 in Flint and was the sixth child of Edward Bevan and Fanny (Williams) of Wesley Mount, Northop Road, Flint.
The 1911 census revealed Benjamin was a boarder at the home of a Mr and Mrs Walter Philp of 22, Middleton Street, Moss Side, Manchester and employed as a salesman at a drapery store but he was employed elsewhere prior to joining the Army but it is not known where. He was unmarried.
He enlisted in Liverpool in circa August, 1914 and was subsequently posted to France, landing at Le Havre, on 1st October, 1915.
He died from wounds received in action on 6th June, 1917 and buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium (Plot XII, Row C, Grave 39).
He is remembered on the Flint Town war memorial and was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. He is also commemorated on the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
The information became known per telegram from the Military Authorities on Friday 1st June that Gunner Bevan was seriously ill in one of the hospitals abroad. On Saturday morning letters were received by Mr Bevan from the Chaplain and others connected with the Battalion conveying the additional news that their son had met with serious shrapnel wounds, and that a portion of his right arm had been amputated at the hospital, but that he was progressing as well as could be expected under the treatment. The hopes of his relatives and friends were that Gunner Bevan would soon sufficiently recover to enable his removal to England, where he might be visited. However the following Saturday there was received from the Chaplain the customary communication as to the hero’s work in the field, and his death. Gunner Bevan was well known in the Borough and had been connected with the Peniel (Welsh Wesleyan) Church, Chester Road where touching references were made to his death on Sunday.
Benjamin’s father died 4th July, 1930 aged 73, at his home at Wesley Mount, Northop Road.
He was born in Flint and on leaving school he was apprenticed to Mr John Lloyd Bibby, contractor, of Corporation Street, at the same time as Alderman Alfred Bibby Lloyd. He served as a brick setter and Alderman Lloyd as a joiner. When Alderman Lloyd commenced business on his own account Mr Bevan was his right-hand man, and the two were inseparable friends throughout their lives, Mr Bevan remaining with Mr Lloyd until he retired in 1927. He worked on all the big contracts carried out by the firm of Messrs A B Lloyd and Sons, acting in the capacity of foreman of the constructions. He was a member of the Flint Castle Lodge of Oddfellows and also of the Operative Bricklayers Society, in connection with which he acted as treasurer of the local branch for many years. He was a faithful member of the Peniel Welsh Wesleyan Church, where he was a Sunday School teacher for upwards of 50 years. He also held the office of Deacon for 40 years and was a “poor steward.” In his younger days he was a singer of repute possessing a rich baritone voice, and he took an active part in the singing at Peniel Church whilst he was always in great demand at concerts and socials held in connection with the church.
He was extremely well known in the town of Flint, possessing a quiet but unassuming manner; he was universally popular and highly respected. At his funeral service addresses were given by the Revs W H Hughes (pastor), Edward Davies and Gwynfryn Jones, all of whom paid eloquent tributes to him. The Rev Edward Davies (Mold) commented on the fact that the late Mr Bevan, Alderman A B Lloyd and Mr Edward Hughes had been inseparable in life and now they were united in death. The Rev Gwynfryn Jones referred to the deceased as one of ‘nature’s gentlemen,’ and based his address on ‘Blessed are the meek.’ He was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery, Flint with his wife Fanny, who was also born in Flint, and died in May, 1923, aged 66.
Renew our will from day to day,
Blend it with Thine, and take away
All that now makes it hard to say,
Thy will be done.
Dad, Mam and Nellie, Wesley Mount, Flint.
(County Herald 7th June, 1918)
A little card, “I am quite well,”
A letter next, “He bravely fell.”
If those who caused this awful war,
Were the only ones to fight,
A brighter world this would have been
For aching hearts to-night.
From Frank and Cissi
12, Golftyn Street, Connah’s Quay.
(County Herald 7th June, 1918)