David Jones was born in Flint in 1883 and was the third of seven children to Henry Jones and Sarah (Barlow). He was a brother of Private John Jones.
Henry and Sarah were both born in Flint and married at St John the Evangelist Parish Church, Farnworth Nr Bolton in 1875. They lived there for a few years, where Henry was employed as a bricklayer’s labourer, then by the 1881 census they were living at 14, Salisbury Street, Flint. Ten years later they had moved to Redfern Row, Chester Road and the 1911 census found them at 23, Castle Street.
In 1911 however David was a boarder at the home of a Mr Joseph Henry Davies at 23, Westminster Road, Ellesmere Port and like his father was employed as a bricklayer’s labourer.
Henry died in February, 1912, aged 60, and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery. Sarah went to live with her daughter Martha and her husband at 3, Saltney Terrace, Pentre, Hawarden
David, a single man, probably moved there too for he enlisted in Hawarden the 4th September, 1914 and the Commonwealth War Graves commission named his sister Martha as his next of kin.
He landed in France on 4th January, 1915 and was killed in action there and his service record states “Regarded as having died on or after 9th May, 1915 after being missing.”
He has no known grave but is commemorated on the Ploegsteer Memorial, Hainaut, Belgium on Panel 10.
It is not known if he is remembered on any town or village war memorial.
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal and the Croix de Guerre.
His mother Sarah died on 13th November, 1918, aged 67, and was buried with husband Henry.