Evan Jones was born in Flint in 1887 and the fifth of six children of Thomas Jones and Annie Parry nee Hughes.
Thomas was born in Holywell and was a labourer at the Oakenholt Paper Mill. Annie was born in Flint and was a widow when they were married somewhere locally in 1878. Her first husband was ironmonger Hugh Parry of 45, Church Street who died in 1871 aged 30. They had three sons.
Thomas and Annie lived at 145, Chester Road for several years where, on 27th August, 1903 Thomas died aged 65. He was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery.
By 1911 Annie and four of her children, including Evan, had moved to 54, Mumforth Street. Evan was employed as an iron works labourer.
On 7th October, 1911 Evan married Margaret Ellen Bellis at St Mary’s Parish Church and took up residence at 65, Sydney Street. They were to have three children: Leonard (1912-?), Gwendoline (1913-?) and Douglas Evan (1918-1986).
He enlisted in Flint in August, 1914 and served with the 5th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, No. 240522, and the 9th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, No. 1534, then eventually the 76th Labour Corps. He was for some time Sergeant under Captain R J Owen at Flint Castle when it was used as the depot of the RWF (Territorial Force).
He died of wounds on 29th September, 1918 caused by the explosion of a shell and was buried in the Louverval Military Cemetery, Doignies, France in Plot A, Grave 12.
He is remembered three memorials – Flint Town, St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint, and the English Presbyterian Chapel, Chester Road, Flint.
He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal and is commemorated the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
County Herald 25th October, 1918
Last Sunday morning, at the English Presbyterian Church, the Pastor (Rev D James, MA) conducted a memorial service for Sergeant Evan Jones. Sergeant Jones, whilst in charge of working party, was on 29th September wounded by a shell, and he died of his wounds. The Pastor read the Chaplain’s letter, and having preached on “character,” strong and pure character, and its power, based on Psalm 81, verse 10, he referred to the loss of men like Sergeant Jones, who laid down their lives for their country whose history and sacrifice will be recorded not only in the history of England, but in the history of mankind. “Rock of Ages” was sung as a memorial hymn, and the organist played the “Dead March.”
Margaret re-married in 1919 to Edward Lewis (1874-1954) of Sydney Street. She was a resident of 14, Cilfan, Cornist when she died in March, 1965. She was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery with her second husband Edward and daughter Hannah.
Evan’s mother Annie died on 21st February, 1932, aged 83,and was buried with her husband.
Obituary: We regret to announce the death on Sunday, in her 84th year, of Mrs Annie Jones, widow of Mr Thomas Jones, 54, Mumforth Street. Mrs Jones had an illness about three years ago, but made a splendid recovery. On Sunday she made a hearty breakfast, but she was taken ill during the day and passed away about 9.30 in the evening. Mrs Jones was born in Church Street, and had resided in Flint all her life. She was the daughter of the late Mr Edward Hughes, slater and plasterer, who did all the slating and plastering on the Town Hall when it was built over a hundred years ago. He also built the Tradesman’s Arms, and was the first tenant of the house. Mrs Jones was twice married, her first husband being Mr Parry, who carried on business in Church Street as an ironmonger. After the death of her first husband Mrs Jones managed the business for a number of years.