John Foulkes Owen was born in Flint in 1871 and was the youngest of three children to John Owen and Mary Ann (Foulkes).
John was born in Llanbedr, Denbighshire and Mary Ann in Bagillt and they married on 29th July, 1863 at St Mary’s Parish Church. They lived in Feathers Street, Greenbank at the top of Church Street, then 1, Mount Street.
John Snr was a master butcher and grocer with his own business in the town and John Jnr became his assistant until he became a master butcher himself.
Mary Ann died at the age of 67 on 29th April, 1905, at Eyton Place, Flint, after a short illness, and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery.
Their daughter, Mary, married farmer Joseph Davies of Quarry Farm, Oakenholt and John Snr, now retired, moved in with them.
Their other daughter, Annie, married farmer John Hughes of Maes y Dre Farm, Flint and John Jnr moved in with them.
John Foulkes enlisted in September, 1914 and was following his trade in slaughtering beasts for Army purposes.
He spent some time in France then in the summer of 1916 he was with one of the Battalions of the Mediterranean Expedition Force at Salonika (Greece) and in early August was granted leave and was able to visit his father.
Nothing is known of his service career after that date other than he was demobilised in January, 1920 after 5 years and four months service.
He died of pneumonia on 1st February, 1920 at Brownlow Hill Infirmary, Liverpool, which was demolished in 1931 to make way for the Roman Catholic Cathedral.
He was buried with his mother in the Northop Road Cemetery (Grave, 1 Line 13, South Side).
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal and is remembered on the Flint Town war memorial. He is also commemorated on the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
His father died on 7th May, 1930 at Quarry Farm, aged 91 and was buried with his wife and son.
Obituary: He was very well known and highly respected in Flint and district, and for many years was in business in the town as a butcher. He was a man of sterling character and was a faithful member of Caersalem C.M. Chapel, with which he had been connected for upwards of eighty years and where he was precentor of the singing for about 40 years. He voluntarily retired in favour of a younger man, and he received a suitable presentation in recognition of his services. He was extremely fond of singing.