Jones, David Littler

David Littler Jones was born about 1885 in Tremeirchion.

He was recorded on the census of 1901 living with his family at Bryn Hyfryd, Tremeirchion. Head of the household was John R Jones aged 40, a Stonemason who had been born in Tremeirchion. His wife was Ann M Jones who was 35. Their listed children were Elizabeth 10, David L 8, Joseph L 5, Llewelyn 2 and Elinor 4 months.

The next census of 1911 finds the family at Tan y Bryn, Tremeirchion, St Asaph. John Ralph Jones was 54 and listed as a Stonemason, Bricklayer. His wife of 22 years Ann Margaret Jones was 45. She had given birth to 9 children, 7 of whom were still alive. The Jones children listed in the household for the census were Elizabeth Vaughan 20, a Dressmaker, David Littler 18, a Gardener, Nellie Vaughan 10, Thomas Alan 8 and Trevor Aled 4.

He was severely wounded in France on the 17th February 1916 and was admitted to King George’s hospital, London on the 25th February, paralysed from the waist down. He was discharged from the army on the 14th February 1917 as permanently unfit for War and Home Service, but died in hospital on 4th July 1917.

David littler Jones’s Army Pension Records have survived and they tell the saddest of tales. He enlisted in Mold on the 12th September 1914 and he joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in Wrexham 5 days later. There’s a description of him on enlistment. He was 21 years and 8 months old, 5 feet 6 and a half inches tall and  had a chest measurement of 36 inches. His complexion was fresh, his eyes grey and his hair was light brown. He was a Methodist. He was deemed to be fit enough to join the army.

The Pension Records document his service in the war. He served ‘at home’ in Britain from 12th September 1914 to 26th September 1915. He joined the British Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders on the 27th September 1915.  On the 17th February 1916 near Ypres,  he received very serious gunshot wounds to his spine and left arm.  He was sent home and admitted to St George’s Hospital London SE on the 25th February 1916.  His condition was appalling. He was a total paraplegic with a shattered left arm.

He was awarded a pension which was increased to 27/6d in April 1917 but the poor lad died on 4th July 1917. He was just 24.

Back to top