Deed, Walter Lawrence

The 1881 Census on shows us that the Deed family were living in St. Asaph, Flintshire.

The Head of the household is shown as Thomas Deed age 32 born in St. Asaph, a Water Bailiff by trade. His Wife is Annie M. Deed age 33 born in London City and their children are George age 7 , John T. age 5, Thomas F. age 4 all born in London and Charles F. age 2 and Walter Lawrence age 10 months, both born in St. Asaph.

The 1891 Census shows that the family were living at 144, Glandur Terrace, St. Asaph, Flintshire.

Head, Thomas Deed age 38 is now a River Watcher by trade, his wife Annie Eugenie is aged 38 and the children still at home are Thomas F. age 14, Gardener, Charles age 12, Gardener, Walter L. age 10 Scholer, and two additions Annie M.  age 5 Scholer and Hester age 2.

The 1901 Census finds Walter Lawrence Deed age 20, living in The Stables at Mostyn Hall. He is shown to be a Groom /Domestic Servant by trade.

The 1911 census finds Walter Lawrence Deed living at  23 Howard Street, Worthing, Sussex, he is 30 years of age and is married to Alice Eugenie (nee Stamp) age 30 born in Littlehampton, Sussex. They have one child called Walter age 1 born in Worthing.

The following information is from a Public Family Tree (Rogers Family history Site) on

Walter and Alice were married on 28th July 1908 at Broadwater.

Walter Deed Junior was born on 27th March 1910. British Army WW1 Pension Records 1914-1918 for Private 808 Walter Lawrence Deed.

Walter Lawrence Deed enlisted into Royal Army Veterinary Corps on 2nd November 1914 at Woolwich.

The British Army’s horses and mules were originally cared for by farriers contracted to each regiment. However, from 1796 veterinary surgeons were commissioned into specific regiments to carry out this duty.

This system proved inadequate during the Crimean War (1854-56) with many animals dying as a result of poor management and care. After public protests it was finally abolished in 1880 and replaced by a centralised Army Veterinary Department. That year also saw the establishment of the Army Veterinary School at Aldershot.

In 1898 the care of sick and injured animals was removed from the war establishment. Veterinary provision was now provided in the same depots, and by the same men, as the Army’s Remount Service, which supplied new replacement horses. This led to a rapid spread of animal disease during the Boer War (1899-1902) and another public outcry.

A separate Army Veterinary Corps of non-commissioned officers and other ranks was set up in 1903. Three years later the Army Veterinary Department was merged into it.

During the First World War (1914-18) the Corps tripled its officers and the number of other ranks grew forty-fold. Engaged on the Western Front, at Gallipoli, Salonika, Mesopotamia and Palestine, it treated sick and wounded cavalry, transport and artillery animals. It also diversified, dealing with horses that had been gassed, setting up four farriery schools and even treating camels in the Middle East. Around 80 per cent of the animals it treated were returned to duty. Sixteen days after the Armistice (11 November 1918) it was granted the prefix ‘Royal’.

In an age of tanks and mechanisation the Army no longer needed so many men to care for its declining number of horses. The Corps was reduced in size in the 1920s and closed its Army Veterinary School. However, vehicles could not cope with the roughest terrain, and horses and mules continued to be cared for during their use on the North-West Frontier of India in the 19

Walter was posted to the Woolwich Barracks from 2/11/14 until 10/11/14 when he left for France with the Expeditionary Force.

This link shows The Royal Horse Artillery training at Woolwich Barracks 1910-1919

Walter was admitted to Bath War  Hospital on 13th May 1916 suffering with symptoms that would suggest heart disease. He had served 1 year 184 days.

He was discharged on 25th July 1916, “no longer fit for duty.” Medal Card for Walter Lawrence Deed.

Walter was awarded The 1914 Star, The Victory Medal and The British War Medal and The Silver War Badge.

After discharge Walter went back to live in East Preston, Sussex where he died on 21st January 1919.

Back to top