John Llewelyn Edwards was born in Caerwys, Flintshire on 18 June 1894.
During early 1901 the family lived at Bonlondeb House, Chapel Street, Caerwys, Flintshire. The head of the family was John Edwards aged 54, a Builder and Architect. His wife Elizabeth Edwards aged 47 and their son John Llewelyn Edwards aged 6. They also had a daughter Lillian Annie Edwards aged 20, who was working away from home at that time. John Edward’s legacy as a Builder to Caerwys includes ‘Bodlondeb’, The Town Hall: the Wesleyan Chapel in Church Street, now a private house. He also built ‘Bryn Celyn’ and Greenbank as residences for Wesleyan Ministers. ‘Trionfa’ in Water Street was built for Mr Edwards by Mr Richard Roberts, who rebuilt three houses in Lower South Street. The one he resided in he named Tudur House, as he was a native of Pandy Tudur near Llanwrst. Later the name became ‘Tudor House’.
The 1911 Census tells us that John Llewelyn Edwards who was now 16 years of age and a Student, lived as a boarder at 57 Beaconshill, Denbigh, Denbighshire. Thereafter he was admitted to Bangor University to study Agriculture.
On 13 September 1914 he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant with 75th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. He landed in France on 28 June 1915 to join the Brigade and was further promoted to Lieutenant in 1916.
The National Probate Calendar for 1917 states that John Llewelyn Edwards had bequeathed the sum of £1445.18s.3p to his sister Lillian Annie Edwards, who was living at Tirionfa, Caerwys, Flintshire. Probate was administered at St. Asaph on 30 November 1917.
Lillian Annie Edwards aged 80, a Spinster died on 22 May 1961 at the Cottage Hospital, Holywell, Flintshire, leaving £13817.9s 4d to a friend.
There is a window in the South Wall of St. Michael’s Parish Church, near the pulpit representing St. David and St. George, which was erected in 1919 to his memory.
John Llewellyn Edwards is also remembered on the North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch, Deiniol Road, Bangor, Gwynedd, North Wales.
There is a Flintshire Roll of Honour card for him at the County Archives Office, Hawarden which was completed on 17 November 1919 by Lillian Annie Edwards.