DIED IN ACTION – Private T. WIGLEY, R.W.F., son of Mr & Mrs WIGLEY, Gladstone- terrace, Sandicroft (sic) is reported killed in action.   He was before joining the army on the works staff of Messrs John Summers, Shotton.   He was 22 years of age, and has another brother serving in Palestine.

FLINTSHIRE OBSERVER & NEWS – 17th October 1918 


A good deal of anxiety has been experienced during the past week at the serious illness in a London hospital of Edward CONWAY, younger son of Mrs. CONWAY, of Church-street/   He was at Crystal Palace preparing for the Navy, when he was stricken and had to be removed to hospital.   The report at the time of writing is favourable.

Since the report that Robert LATHAM had suffered amputation of his leg no news has been received at Dee View, but it is presumed that the unfortunate man is progressing favourably.   He is in Hospital in France.

Private T. WILLIAMS, of Golftyn-street, is in hospital at Reading, suffering from very severe injuries to the thigh.   His brother David WILLIAMS, is at present home on leave.

Private Joseph FISH, also of Golftyn-street, is in hospital in Sheffield, after being badly gassed.

Lieut. CONNELL has been transferred from the London hospital to Eaton Hall.   Though much better, his arm is not yet of much use.

Sergeant Osman WILLIAMS, of Dee-road is home on leave.

Private George AUSTIN – whose cousin, Reggie BROWN, with whom he was brought up, is recovering from wounds at a Halifax hospital – has himself been discharged with a permanently injured shoulder.

Sergeant Samuel HEWITT, of Rock Cottages, is at present at home on sick leave, after being wounded.   His speech has been temporarily affected.

T. LOMAS, of Vron-road (sic), is home on leave from the North-East Coast. He was suffering from concussion, but has recovered.   Mr. LOMAS is an old Army man, having given in all 21 years’ service to the Army. 

FLINTSHIRE OBSERVER & NEWS -24th October 1918 

CONNAH’S QUAY & SHOTTON. – Death of a Soldier. –  News has been received at Dee View that Private Robert LATHAM, who was lying in hospital in France, seriously ill, and who had suffered the amputation of a leg has now died, from  the effects of his wounds and the subsequent operations.

Same edition:- CONNAH’S QUAY AND SHOTTON ( Flu)

There are in Connah’s Quay and Shotton numerous sufferers, but except in the case of a few families the attack has been comparatively light.   Only one or two deaths have taken place, and a local doctor gave it as his opinion at the week-end that the turning of the tide in the locality had come.   Nevertheless a large number of residents have been and many still are laid up, and school, week-day and Sunday, as well as Sunday services and other assemblages, have witnessed to the prevalence of influenza by their depleted numbers.   St. Mark’s Schools have been closed during the present week, the chemists have been besieged for the last fortnight for remedies, one of them Mr. T.C.JONES, having to retire to bed a victim of the epidemic, and the doctors and local nurses, including the district nurse, have had the busiest and most anxious time they have had for some years.

Mr Neil CAMERON, of Church-street, who at the beginning of the war joined the Liverpool Scottish, and went out to France, returning eventually discharged owing to a wound in the lung, has now succumbed to influenza and subsequent pneumonia.   Other members of the family have suffered from the complaint, including another brother, who has lost an arm in the war.      Another pneumonia victim from the district is Private Edward ROBERTS, R.W.F., whose death occurred in South Wales, after a week’s illness.   He was employed, before joining the colours, in the postal service at Queen’s Ferry.   He was buried with full military honours in the Hawarden Parish Churchyard.   The service was conducted by the Rev. R. LLEWELLYN, and at the close the “Last Post” was sounded.   He leaves a young wife.


“The funeral of Mr. Neil CAMERON, whose death from influenza and pneumonia was reported in last week’s issue, took place last Thursday A large number of friends and sympathisers gathered at the house and proceeded to St. Mark’s Church, and then to the local cemetery. Attending the funeral there was also a firing party and bugler, commanded bySergeant-Major LEWIS of the Royal Defence Corps. These carried out the usual military honours. Mr. T.H. HASWELL, the local National Service Representative, attended, and a number of discharged soldiers also were present. Wreaths from the Discharged Soldiers Federation and from the fellow workmen of deceased were sent, among others. The Vicar of St. Mark’s conducted the service in the church and at the graveside.”

Same edition, lower down under the above:-

Another invalided Soldier, Mr. Enoch CADDICK, residing in Shotton, succumbed last week to the prevailing epidemic.   The deceased volunteered for service in 1914 and joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers almost at once.   He was in the Gallipoli operations, and was invalided home after suffering from dysentery.   Sergeant-Major LEWIS and a firing party attended the funeral, which took place at the Hawarden Cemetery, and wreaths were sent from the Discharged Soldier’s Association and from fellow workmen.

The funeral of Mr. John Henry COOPER, of Church-terrace, Chester-road, Shotton of another victim of the influenza, took place last Thursday at Hawarden    The funeral was attended by many of the deceased’s former workmates, as well as relatives and friends.

FLINTSHIRE OBSERVER & NEWS – 21st November 1918 

MILITARY NEWS            

Second-Lieut. R.B.EVANS, R.W.F., has been awarded the Military Cross for bravery on the field of battle.   He formerly belonged to Bangor University Officer’s Training Corps. and has fought on the Somme and on the Western Front.

News has been received by Mrs. JOHNSON of High-street, that her husband, Sergt., R.H.JOHNSON, has died from wounds in France.   He joined up at the beginning of the war  and received promotion for bravery.   He was 38 years of age and formerly employed at the Shotton Picture Palace.   He has a son, who being tall, joined up at the age of 14 and who has seen some service in France.

The deceased has left three children.   Mrs. JOHNSON has received very comforting letters from the chaplain and sister of the hospital where her husband died.

Mr. & Mrs HAWKES, High-street, Connah’s Quay, have received news that their son, Sergt. John HAWKES, is lying in hospital, wounded.   He joined up in 1914 and has been in the thick of the fighting.

Same edition:-

PROMOTION FOR LIEUT. PRINCE – Lieut. J.T. PRINCE, who has been on active service for the past four years and who is at the present time in a Lancashire military hospital, has just received intimation of promotion to the rank of captain.   He is the eldest son of Mr. James PRIBCE, J.P. of Pen-y-llan, chairman of the Board of Guardians.

Same edition:-

INFLUENZA STILL PREVALENT – The epidemic still runs its course and does not show any signs of abatement.   The schools have been closed for another week, partly on this account and partly on account of the celebrations.   There is a strong feeling that if matters do not speedily mend more drastic measures must be taken.   There are several more deaths and a number on new cases.

FLINTSHIRE OBSERVER & NEWS – 12th December 1918 


INFLUENZA ABATEMENT – There appears to be a definite abatement locally of the influenza epidemic, and though there are one or two people seriously ill and several new cases, there are no deaths to report at the time of writing.

ANOTHER RETURNED PRISONER – Private Horace TURLEY, another returned prisoner, who resides at Golftyn, Connah’s Quay, has arrived home.   He relates that at first when the armistice was proclaimed he and other prisoners were confined, but they made their escape and got to the lines of the Allies. 

Same edition:-

MILITARY RECOGNITION – An award has been made on behalf of Lieut. Edward HUGHES, who met his death in action recently, of the Military Cross to his relatives.   He received the Military Medal some time ago.   He was a Lieut. In the 13th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and at the time of death was assaulting some hill position near Montay, north of Le Cateau, and came under heavy machine gun fire whilst leading his company.   There were heavy casualties and Lieut. HUGHES, himself though wounded, still led his men in until the positions had been captured.   But just as this happened he received a fatal bullet and almost immediately expired.   He was buried in the little cemetery at Montay.

COUNTY HERALD – 13th December 1918 (Page 3, Column 2) 

“Congratulations were extended to Lieutenant J.W. CONNELL & L/Cpl WHEALE, on the distinctions they had earned and the Clerk was directed to Communicate with these persons accordingly.   Congratulations were also extended to Cpl Tom VICKERS, on his release as a Prisoner of War, and the Clerk directed to communicate with him accordingly.

FLINTSHIRE OBSERVER & NEWS – 19th December 1918


A MEMORIAL SERVICE was recently held at Connah’s Quay Weslyan Chapel conducted by the Rev, A. SHIPHAM, Mold, in memory of Company Sergeant-Major J. G. ATTWOOD, Shotton..   He was associated with the church from boyhood, and became organist.   There was a large attendance.

Same edition:-


The question of establishing a permanent memorial to local men fallen in the war is to the fore in connection with St. Ethelwold’s Church, Shotton.   Mr. ROBINSON’S ( the vicar) first thought was a “Calvary” placed in the churchyard; others suggested a plain cross there.   But now the inclination is towards something more serviceable.    The following are mentioned: – 1, a screen in the chancel arch; 1, a war memorial chapel; 3, church bell’s.   The first, it is estimated, would cost £200; the second, £1000.   The bells would require an expenditure of £2,500.   The third proposal is stated to be the most popular, and the relatives of the men who have died for their country (who are nearly a hundred) all desire the bells, except in two cases, where a cross is preferred.   A general meeting will be summoned, and representatives invited from the local institutions to discuss the proposal.

Same edition:- 


Among the latest arrivals home of prisoners of war from Germany is Private Leonard WORRALL, Penyllan-street, who arrived on Thursday, and was warmly welcomed by his widowed mother and a crowd of friends and residents.

Private GRIFFITHS, 198, High-street ( see 12th August 1918 news above.) also arrived home at the same time as Private Leonard WORRALL.   They met each other in Belgium, and travelled together, staying en route at Leeds, where a gentleman entertained them.

Private W. GARRETT, New-street, another prisoner of war arrived home last week.   He seems to have ha d an exciting experience.   He escaped from the camp after being a prisoner since October 1914, and made his way to Wilhelmshaven, and eventually got on to a British destroyer, and landed at Harwich.

Same edition:- Page 4

OBIT — The funeral of Mrs T PETERS, Cable Street, Connah’s Quay, a Soldier’s wife, took place last week at Hawarden Churchyard.   The service was held at the St. Ethelwold’s Church, Shotton, and was conducted by the Rev, J. ROBINSON.   The deceased was 32 years of age, and died of pneumonia.   Her husband, who has been in Egypt since 1914, knows nothing yet of his wife’s sad death.


Back to top