Harry Edwards

Able Seaman Harry Edwards, Royal Navy, was the son of Frank and Sarah Edwards, of 34, Mold Road, Buckley. Sarah was the sister of Margaret Evans, paternal grandmother of Peter Kelsall. Sarah’s brother Joseph Evans was killed at Loos in 1915 in the First World War. Harry was born 5 February 1923 and was 21 when lost at sea aboard H.M. Submarine Stonehenge on or about 20 March 1944.

HMS Stonehenge was an S-class submarine of the third batch built for the Royal Navy during World War II. Completed in 1943, she made her initial patrol off Norway and was then transferred to the Far East, where she conducted two war patrols, during which she sank two Japanese ships. On her second patrol, Stonehenge disappeared with all hands and was declared overdue on 20 March 1944. The most probable cause of her sinking is that she hit a mine, but her wreck has never been found.

After training in several port areas, Stonehenge departed Lerwick on 10 September 1943 to patrol off Norway. She ended her patrol two weeks later without having sighted any ships. The boat then departed Great Britain on 5 November and visited Gibraltar, Beirut, and Port Said, then transited the Suez Canal, stopping at Aden and Colombo before arriving at Trincomalee, Ceylon, on 23 January 1944.[7]

On 1 February, Stonehenge departed Trincomalee for her second war patrol. Four days later, she fired two torpedoes at the Japanese merchant ship Koryo Maru No.2, but the torpedoes passed underneath the ship; the submarine surfaced and sank the vessel with her deck gun. On 7 February, the boat launched a landing party at Lem Hua Krung Yai, Siam, then torpedoed and sank the Japanese minelayer Choko Maru west of Malaya five days later. Stonehenge ended her patrol on 18 February.[7]

By Stewart Bale Ltd, Liverpool – This is photograph FL 19381 from the collections of the Imperial War Museums (collection no. 8308-29), Public Domain,

On 25 February 1944, Stonehenge left port to patrol north of the Strait of Malacca and off the Nicobar Islands in the Indian Ocean. She never returned from her patrol, and was declared overdue on 20 March. It is considered likely that she hit a mine, although an accident may also have been the cause of her loss. Her wreck has never been found. Lost with 49 crew.


Back to top