Please scroll down to learn more about the Memorial
County Herald 20 June 1919
SOUGHTON WAR MEMORIAL FUND SPORTS
The above sports were held on Whit-Monday in a field kindly lent by Mr Rogers, Liverpool Road, Soughton. This being the first sports held in the village for the above object, we are pleased to say the event proved a great success, some hundreds of people paying for admission. At the conclusion of the programme, Mr C.L. Williams CC, JP, Lower Soughton Hall as general chairman of the War memorial Committee, presided at the meeting called for the purpose of distributing the prizes. Lady Bankes kindly undertook the duty of distributing the prizes to the successful competitors and during those proceedings the Chairman requested Lord Justice Bankes, who was present, to say a few words to the mass of people who stood around the platform. Lord Justice Bankes came forward and stated that he had not done so with the intention of making a speech but in response to the Chairman’s request he would just say that he was very pleased to see so many people present, especially such a lot of children, which was a good augury for the future of the village. He would also like to impress on all present, the importance of each individual performing some work of national utility as there were possibly trying times in front of us; and it behoved us all to make the very best of everything. I conclusion he wished the memorial Committee every success- A hearty vote of thanks was accorded Lord Justice Bankes for his excellent words of advice and encouragement; also to Lady Bankes for distributing the prizes; and to Mrs Brown, Green Bank, Chairman of the Sports Committee. We congratulate the committee on the excellent arrangements and sincerely hope that next year there will be another sports programme arranged, better still, if possible. _ Mr J W Craven carried out his duties as Hon Secretary for the day in an excellent manner.
Northop Parish Magazine April 1921
Our friends in Soughton had been hard at work for a long time providing means for erecting a memorial for those men from the district who had made the supreme sacrifice during the Great War. After much careful and deliberate consideration it was decided to erect a suitable archway close to the school forming an entrance to a plot of ground to be used for recreation.On Easter Day the Memorial was unveiled and dedicated in the presence of a large number of people. First there was a united service held at the Memorial Hall when all the religious communities of the village joined in. The feeling envinced showed clearly how each and all realised the loss sustained and the noble example set by those who had laid down their lives for King and Country. The address was given by the Vicar.Outside the Hall there was a procession formed headed by clergy and ministers and on reaching the Memorial an address was given by Lord Justice Bankes and at the request of the Chairman of the Committee (Mr E Williams) the ex Chairman of Flintshire County Council (Mr C L Williams) unveiled and the Vicar dedicated the same. The last post was played by members of the Northop Band. When the Union Jack was removed the names of the fallen carved on a marble slab on each side of the entrance were exposed to view and those assembled keenly felt the situation.
To view Order of Service booklet Click on image above
The above photographs have been supplied by Sychdyn Bowling Club (via Cllr Mel Higham), Mrs Tegwyn Roberts and Mr Nigel Parry. Many thanks to them all
In fact, the very first memorial to be erected in the Parish was this one below. It is on the wall inside the Bryn Seion Chapel, Sychdyn and was unveiled on the 11th April 1920