Vernon Rhydwen Jones was born in Rhyl, Flintshire on 13 September 1879.
The 1901 Census shows that the family lived at 15 Gronant Street, Rhyl, Flintshire. The head of the family was John William Jones aged 48, who was employed as a Carpenter. His wife Sarah Ann Jones aged 45 and their three children – Vernon Rhydwen Jones aged 21, a Upholsterer, Trevor Rhydwen Jones aged 19, a Coach Builder and Philip Rhydwen Jones aged 3 years.
On 5 March 1904 Vernon married Eva Jane Hughes, born on 9 January 1880 at the English Congregational Chapel (Christ Church), Rhyl. The witnesses were Trevor Rhydwen Jones and Elsie Williams. The Minister was David Lewis. Vernon was still employed as an Upholsterer and living at 2 Arran Villa, Rhyl, Flintshire. Eva was living at 4 Marsh Road, Rhyl, Flintshire at the time of their marriage.
They emigrated to Canada on the Steamship Virginian arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia on 6 April 1907, their destination being Winnipeg, Manitoba. Vernon obtained employment at Eaton’s Department Store in Winnipeg and Became Manager of Draperies. Their son Cyril John Jones was born on 16 January 1911.
On Monday 11 January 1915, Vernon enlisted at the Recruitment Centre, Winnipeg with 44th Battalion, Canadian Infantry. His Attestation ( Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force) Papers state that he had previously served for 2 years in South Africa and had been a soldier in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Territorial Force for a period of six years. He was described as 5′ 9″ tall, 36″ Chest Measurement with a 2″ Expansion, fresh complexion, blue eyes and dark brown hair. He was passed fit for Military Service. Eva and their son Cyril John returned to the United Kingdom following her husbands enlistment arriving in Liverpool on 22 February 1915. They lived at 26 Vale Road, Rhyl, Flintshire, North Wales.
Rhyl Journal July 17, 1915 – Promotion. We understand that Sergeant Vernon Rhydwen Jones of the Canadian Expeditionary Force has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. This news will be of interest to many Rhylites, for the promoted soldier is an old Rhyl boy, a son of Mr. J. Rhydwen Jones. Many will remember Vernon Jones as one of the most brilliant footballers Rhyl has ever known. He is expected to leave Canada for the front shortly. His youngest brother Philip is with the new army that has just had its baptism of fire in France.
Vernon left for England on S.S. Lapland from Nova Scotia on 22 October 1915 with the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Forces and arrived in Bramshott, England on 30 October 1915.
Rhyl Journal Saturday 25 March 1916 – Mr Vernon Rhydwen Jones, Rhyl, who has come over from Canada to fight for his country has been promoted to a post of Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant of the 44th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. He previously took up arms for his country in the Boar War.
Vernon is remembered on the 44th Canadian Infantry, Vimy Ridge Monument, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg. This Monument was originally erected on Vimy Ridge, France by the 44th Battalion in 1917. In 1924, the Monument was moved to it’s present location in Vimy Ridge Memorial Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Plaques on the sides of the Monument lists those of the 44th Battalion who had lost their lives during the First World War.
He is also remembered on a Remembrance Plaque at The Royal Alexandra Hospital, Marine Drive, Rhyl, Flintshire and on The North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch, Deiniol Road, Bangor, North Wales.
There is a Flintshire Roll of Honour Card for Vernon Rhydwen Jones at the County Archives Office, Hawarden, Flintshire, which was completed in November 1919 by O. Roberts.
Eva and Cyril Jones – Eva returned to Winnipeg with her son Cyril following Vernon’s death arriving in Quebec on 8 July 1917. They lived on Scotia Street, then Kildonan Avenue, near Kildonan Park in Winnipeg, Manitoba. However, they both returned to Rhyl, Flintshire in 1919 and subsequently moved to St. Helier, Jersey and were living there at the time of the German occupation during the second world war. Eva was mistreated by the Germans and died on 20 February 1942 at the General Hospital, St. Helier.