Menu

A total of soldiers from this area served their country, with 10 having fallen and been commemorated on the Penyffordd Memorial

Location

View on Google Maps

penyffordd 001

Penyffordd Memorial

 

 

PENYFFORDD  – PROPOSED MEMORIAL INSTITUTE. 

The question of a war memorial to the fallen heroes of the district has been under discussion at a public meeting.

Mr. Hurlbutt of Penyffordd House, was chairman, Mr. Hugh Rogers chairman of the Hope Parish Council, explained what steps were being taken by the Parish Council. — The feeling of the meeting was that whatever form the memorial took it should be centrally situated.   Mr. Jakeman proposed, and Mr. I. Davies seconded, that the Lowere Ward should have it’s own memorial. — After some discussion this was decided upon. —  Mr Bimson proposed, and Mr. T.P. Griffiths seconded, that a memorial institute be erected in the village. –This was finally decided upon, and a representative committee was formed to carry on the project.

County Herald 13th December 1918

 

PENYFFORD 

MEMORIAL INSTITUTE PROJECT

It is with supreme satisfaction we note that over £300 has been collected towards the provision of a memorial institute to the memory of the soldiers from Penyffordd who fell in the war.   The fund was substantially augmented by a social gathering that was held during the festive season at the council school.   The M.C.’s were Messrs. Thomas E. Griffiths and Thos. P. Griffiths   Each member of the committee had the option of inviting two friends.   Mr. W. Astbury defrayed the cost of the refreshments.   The solos renedered by Miss Swire were much appreciated.   A vote of thanks was proposed by Mr. Kevan, seconded by Mr. Wm. Jones

County Herald 9th January 1920

 

E mail received November 2018

Did you know that Emmanuel Church, Penyffordd has it's own World War
One Memorial?
It includes the same names as those inside the Penyffordd & Penymynydd
War Memorial Institute plus one more - Bennett William Fallows - he is
included on the Leeswood Memorial. (The current Emmanuel Penyffordd
was built on its present site in 1959 but has been on three sites in
the village over the years, it's first being on the site of the
current fish and chip shop in 1881 when it was a barn. The WWI war
memorial was presumably installed in 1959 or moved from the previous
mission church).

Rev Adam Pawley

 


Back to top