Mellor, Thomas

Name of Researcher / Enw’r ymchwylydd: Viv Williams

Name of Memorial / Enw’r gofeb: Is y Coed

Name / Enw: Mellor, Thomas

Regiment/Catrawd: 3/5th Lancashire Fusiliers

Service Rank and Number / Rheng gwasanaeth a rhif: Private 18446

Military Cemetery/Memorial / Fynwent milwrol: Tyne Cot Memorial

Ref No Grave or Memorial / Rhif cyfeirnod bedd: Panel 54-60 and 163 A

Country of Cemetery or Memorial / Gwlad y fynwent neu gofeb: Belgium

Medals Awarded / Medalau a ddyfarnwyd: Victory and British War medals

Date of Death: 10th October 1917

Date and Circumstances of Death / Dyddiad ac amgylchiadau marwolaeth:

Missing then declared killed in action on 10th October 1917 at Passchendaele

Thomas was born in 1897. According to his Commonwealth War Grave Certificate he was the son of John Thomas Mellor and ‘the late’ Elizabeth Mellor

He was recorded on the census of 1911 living with his family at Wych Mills Malpas. The family comprised  at that point of John Mellor 41 a Corn Miller and his second wife Catherine who was 45. The census form tells us that this couple had been married for 13 years. She had given birth to three children but one had not survived. There were 4 children listed in the household.  Frank 16, a Corn Miller, Thomas 14, John 8 and Eric 7.  Catherine was stepmother to Frank and Thomas.

We know from the Commonwealth War Grave Certificate that Thomas grew up to be an Electrical Engineer

UK Soldiers who Died in The Great War 1914-19 accessible on www.ancestry.co.uk confirms all the military information at the top of this page. It adds that Thomas enlisted in Manchester. This source tells us he was ‘killed in action’.  His medal index card, also on ‘Ancestry’ details his two medals.

There is an index card for Thomas in The Flintshire Roll of Honour at The County Record Office in Hawarden. It gives the address Higher Wych Mill Malpas and it confirms the regimental details as at the top of this page.The card tells us he served from the 7th March 1917 in France and that he was ‘Missing since 10th October 1917’ at Passchendaele.