Sidney Robert Mason’s first appearance on a census was in 1901. He was living with his widowed mother Eva E. Mason 31, a ‘Bedstead Polisher’. Her late husband was Robert Mason and he and Eva Elizabeth Turner had been married in 1891 in Wolverhampton (Volume 6b Page 820). Robert’s death in 1896 was registered in Dudley (Volume 6c Page 44). In the 1901 census, Sidney Robert 9 and Eva S. Mason age 6 were living with their mother at 21, Wesley Street, Sedgley, Staffordshire.
The 1911 census sees the family living at 67 Wesley Street Daisy Bank Bilston, Staffordshire. Head of the household was Eva, 40 and still a widow. Sidney was 19, single and a Sheet Mill Ironworker. Selina was 16.
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 accessible on www.ancestry.co.uk confirms Sidney’s regimental information and tells us that he was born in Sedgley, Staffordshire and lived in Bradley, Staffordshire, but he enlisted in Shotton, Flintshire. His medal card also on ‘Ancestry’ details his medals and tells us that his first Theatre of War was France and he entered it on the 27th September 1915. He died of wounds less than 3 months later.
Sidney Robert’s name is at the top of the same panel as I.W Morris, who was also killed and is named on the Connah’s Quay & Shotton Cenotaph, he has a page there.
Close up of Sidney Robert’s name on the Menin Gate. Photo taken on the 16th April 2016 by Mavis Williams
Sidney Robert enlisted into the Army in Shotton. He gave his residence as Bilston, where his mother Eva Elizabeth Mason lived at 67, Wesley St., Bradley, Bilston, Staffs. This is the address the Commonwealth War Graves Commission gave on his Casualty details.
Sidney Robert Mason in the UK, Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects, 1901-1929 tells us that the sole Legatee was his mother Eva Elizabeth who received £2.18s 8d on the 22nd February 1916 and his War Gratuity of £5 on the 24th July 1919, and confirms that he died of wounds.
Sidney is named on the Hawarden War Memorial, and the St. Ethelwold’s Church Roll of Honour, which is in the Lady Chapel to the left of the Alter.