William Edward Jones was born in Flint in 1881 and baptised on 15th April, 1881 at St Mary’s Parish Church, and was the second of seven children to John Owen Jones and Susannah Frances (Jones). He was a brother to Private John Henry Jones.
William lived at Mumforth Street, the Plough Inn, Earl Street and 3, Papermill Cottages then by 1911 he had moved to London where he was a lodger at 23, Montpelier Road, Kentish Town with a Mr and Mrs Thomas William Stow. He was a single man and employed as a printer’s clerk.
He enlisted in Wembley and served in France where he died of wounds on 5th November, 1918. He was buried in Cambrai East Military Cemetery, France (Plot II, Row A, Grave 44).
He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal and is remembered on the war memorial at St David’s Parish Church, Oakenholt.