James (Jim) Henry Jones was born in Flint in 1896 and baptised on 29th November, 1896 at St Mary’s Parish Church. He was the eldest of six children to Thomas Jones and Deborah (Rogers).
Thomas was born in Flint and Deborah in Bagillt. They married on 7th July, 1896 at St Mary’s Parish Church and resided at 58, Feathers Street.
Jim didn’t marry and enlisted in the army in Flint circa September, 1914. His battalion landed in France on 27th September, 1915.
He died on 27th August, 1916 from the effects of a wound received in the stomach and was buried in Abbeville Communal Cemetery, France, in Plot III, Row D, Grave 19.
He is remembered on two war memorials – Flint Town and St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint.
He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal and is commemorated the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
The County Herald report of his death stated: He was a young man well respected by a large number of relatives and friends. Before his enlistment he was employed in the packing department of Messrs Summers’ Works.
Deborah died on 26th February, 1949, aged 75, and was buried in the Old London Road Cemetery. She was described in her obituary as of a quiet disposition and held in high esteem by all with whom she came into contact. She was a worshipper at St Mary’s Parish Church.
Thomas died, aged 80, on 12th April, 1955 in hospital following a long illness, and was buried with his wife. His obituary stated that when a young man he was coachman and stableman for Mr and Mrs Wilkinson, of the old Three Pigeons Hotel, and later for 45 years he was employed as a jetty man at Messrs John Summers’ steel works, retiring in 1947.