Name of Researcher / Enw’r ymchwylydd: Peter Redfern Metcalfe
Name of Memorial / Enw’r gofeb: Flint Town
Name / Enw: Gloyne, Harry
Regiment/Catrawd: 18th (Service) Battalion (2nd City) The King’s (Liverpool Regiment
Service Rank and Number / Rheng gwasanaeth a rhif: Private No 85267
Military Cemetery/Memorial / Fynwent milwrol: Montay Communal Cemetery, Nord
Ref No Grave or Memorial / Rhif cyfeirnod bedd: Grave 5
Country of Cemetery or Memorial / Gwlad y fynwent neu gofeb: France
Medals Awarded / Medalau a ddyfarnwyd: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Date of Death: 10th October 1918
Date and Circumstances of Death / Dyddiad ac amgylchiadau marwolaeth:
Killed in action in France
Henry (Harry) Edward Gloyne was born in Flint on 11th February, 1892 and baptised 6th March, 1892 at St Mary’s Catholic Church, Flint. He was the eighth of nine children to Archibald Gloyne and Catherine ( Jones).
After Harry was born the Gloyne family lived at 12, Salisbury Street, then in 1901 were living at 27, Mumforth Street, then eventually settled at 41, Mumforth Street. Harry was employed at the local chemical works.
He married Harriet Williams on 19th February, 1918 at St Winifride’s Catholic Church, Well Street, Holywell, and at the time of their marriage Harry was based at Park Hall Camp, Oswestry.
They had no children but Harriet had an illegitimate son in 1920, named Henry Edward, who died in 1999.
He enlisted in Flint with the 9th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers (RWF), No. 13535. He was wounded in action, whilst still with the RWF, on the 2nd July, 1916, and was also suffering from shell shock.
He was killed in action in France on 10th October, 1918 and buried in the Montay Communal Cemetery, France (Grave 5).
He is remembered on two war memorials: Flint House and St Mary’s Catholic Church, Flint, and was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Harriet was born in Holywell in 1894 and during the war she was a munitions worker. Whilst Harry was in the army she went to live with her widowed mother in 6, Davies Square, New Road, Holywell. In 1925 she remarried in Wrexham to a John H Jones, but it is not known what became of her after that date.
Harry’s father, Archibald, was born in Dover, Kent and died 25th January, 1933, aged 77, at his home in 41, Mumforth Street and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery. Mr Gloyne had resided in Flint for over 40 years, and was well known and highly respected in the town. For many years he was in the employ of the United Alkali Company as a fireman. He was a member of the Flint Conservative Club and also of the Flint Castle Lodge of Oddfellows, and when he died the flag was flown at half-mast at the headquarters of both organisations. He was a faithful member of St Mary’s Catholic Church, Flint. In August 1932 Mr and Mrs Gloyne celebrated their diamond wedding.
Archibald’s wife, Catherine, was born in Flint and also died at 41, Mumforth Street on 9th August, 1934, aged 81, and was buried with her husband in an unmarked grave. Like her husband, Mrs Gloyne was well known and highly esteemed and was also a member of St Mary’s Catholic Church.
He has fallen with others so noble and brave,
And to-night he is sleeping in a hero’s grave;
Only sad memories forever will stay
Of the one who sleeps in that grave far away.
Fondly remembered by his Wife and Child and all
at 6, Davies Square, New Road, Holywell
(County Herald, 8th October, 1920)