Charles (Charlie) Hazeltine Pierce was born in Greenfield on 11th April, 1897 and was baptised St James’s Parish Church, Holywell on 6th June, 1897. He was the youngest of two children to Francis (Frank) Pierce and Margaret (Jones).
Frank was born in Flint and Margaret in Greenfield and they were married at at the Holy Trinity Parish Church, Chester on 10th April, 1893. They were residing at Laurel Cottages, Greenfield when their two sons were born, the eldest, Thomas, was born in 1894, and by the 1901 census the family had moved to Fern Villa in Greenfield.
Frank was a mariner and worked on board local cargo vessels which sailed up and down the River Dee, and in the 1911 census he and Margaret were on board a vessel named the “Red Star” which was docked at Huskisson Dock, Liverpool with Frank as the Captain and Flint born John Frimston, aged 50, as the only crew member.
Meanwhile Charlie and Thomas were staying with their maternal grandparents, John and Prudence Jones, at 1, Ivy Terrace, Greenfield. At some point the Pierce family set up home at 21, Halkyn Street, Flint
Charlie was employed at the Holywell Company’s Mercerisers’ Works, Flint before he enlisted in the Army at Flint on 23rd November, 1915.
He was killed in action at Grinchy, France on 10th September, 1916. He has no known grave but is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, France on Pier and Face 7D.
He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal and is remembered on two war memorials – Flint Town and St Mary’s Parish Church, Flint. He is also remembered on his parent’s headstone in the Northop Road Cemetery, Flint (Grave 11, Line 6, West Side). He is also commemorated on the North Wales Heroes’ Memorial Arch, Bangor.
Margaret died at her home on 3rd February, 1929, aged 57, and was buried in the Northop Road Cemetery.
Obituary: We regret to record the death at 21, Halkyn Street, on Sunday morning of Mrs Margaret Pierce. Deceased, who was 57 years of age, leaves a husband and one son to mourn her loss. She was a native of Greenfield and came to Flint about 15 years ago, and was well-known and highly respected in the town. She was a faithful member of St Mary’s Parish Church.
Frank died on 26th June, 1955 aged 89, at the home of his son and daughter-in-law of 39, Highfield, Halkyn Road.
Obituary: Mr Pierce was a native of Flint, and the son of the late Mr and Mrs Thomas Pierce, formerly of Holywell Road. After a career as a mariner Mr Pierce then joined Messrs Courtaulds Castle Works in 1921, retiring 18 years ago. His wife predeceased him 26 years ago. A member of the Old Age Pensioners and a keen supporter of the Flint Town United football team, Mr Pierce is survived by one son (Mr Thomas Pierce).