John was born about 1897. His parents were Albert & Minnie and they had married on 11th July 1896 at St. John’s Church, Pentrobin.
The 1901 census records the family living at 7 High Street Connah’s Quay. The head of the household was Albert Millington 33 a brickworks labourer and his wife Minnie was 26. The listed children were Elsie 3 and Ada 2. John who would have been about 4 was not there.
The 1911 census finds the family at 7 Maud Street Connah’s Quay. Minnie was 36 and a housekeeper. This form says she had been born in Manchester Father Albert was missing from this census. The children listed were Elsie 13, Ada 12, Marian 9, Minnie 8, Rhoda 6, Edward Thomas 5 and Albert James age 2. All the children were scholars. Once again, John was not there.
I do believe that John 13, may have been living in Penymynydd, Mold with his Grandmother Eliza Wilcock on the 1911 census. His birthplace was stated to be Connah;s Quay, but that had been crossed out and the same birthplace as his Grandmother written – Hawarden.
UK soldiers who died in the Great War 1914 -19, accessible on www.ancestry.co.uk confirms the regimental information above and adds that he enlisted in Shotton.
John Millington in the UK, Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects, 1901-1929 tells us that the sole Legatee was his mother Minnie who was paid £1. 18s 6d on the 11th February 1916 and his War Gratuity of £3. 10s 0d on the 28th July 1919.
There is an index card for an A. Millington in The Flintshire Roll of Honour at The County Record office in Hawarden. (Flintshire WW1 Index Cards, Connah’s Quay F 46) The regimental details above are confirmed and the address given is 7, Maude Street, Connah’s Quay, Flintshire. It adds that he served for 4 years and was Killed in Action on the 25th September 1915. The card was signed on the 15th December 1919 by M. Millington.
John’s medal card also accessible on ancestry, records his medal details and also tells us that his first theatre of war was France and that he entered it on 19th July 1915.
Pte. J. Millington, is remembered on a Plaque that was unveiled in 1919 at Wepre Presbyterian Church (This has now been demolished!).he is also named on the Memorial Plaque in St.Mark’s Church, Connah’s Quay.
He was killed on the same day as John Parry and James Perry
The following additional account of John Millington’s life has been supplied by his nephew, Geoff Taylor.
John was the eldest son of Albert and Minnie Millington of 7 Maude Street, Connah’s Quay and twin to Elsie Millington. He was born on 22nd July 1897 (Entry No 334, Register Book 38, 21st August 1897) at “Boran Cottages”, off Maude Street, Connah’s Quay at the home of Mr & Mrs Joseph Taylor (Railway Worker) with whom Albert &Minnie Millington resided when first married. He was bought up by his Grandmother, Eliza Wilcock, nee Povall living at Pear Tree Cottage, Pentrobin.
He attended Custom House Lane Council School, Mold Road, Connah’s Quay under the Headmastership of Mr Morris. He was a regular church member attending the local Presbyterian Church along with his intimate friends. He also took part in many parish activities.
At the outbreak of war in 1914 he joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He was killed in action at the Battle of Loos, September 25th 1915, aged 18 years and his body was not recovered.
His name is inscribed on the following war memorials, etc.
(a) On the headrest of his parent’s grave in Connah’s Quay Cemetery,
Cemetery Road, Connah’s Quay
“John Piercy Millington, Son of the above (Albert Millington) who fell
in action, in the Battle of Loos, Sept 25th 1915, aged 18 years.
“Blest be the tie that binds”
(b) The “Roll of Honour” in St Mark’s Parish Church, Connah’s Quay. On the plaque which is of white marble is placed on the right side of the chancel arch and contains the names of all members of the parish who were killed in the war of 1914 – 1918.
(c) The War Memorial of Connah’s Quay and Shotton situated in HighStreet, Connah’s Quay at the boundary of the two parishes. The memorial has a square base and is surmounted by a cross. It was raised to the memory of those killed in the 1914 -1918 war
(d) The “Roll of Honour” in Wepre Presbyterian Church, High Street, Connah’s Quay. The plaque, which is of white marble, is placed on the right side of the church.(Now demolished)
Extract from the newspaper cutting – COUNTY HERALD 9th September 1919. CONNAH’S QUAY – Memorial Tablet Unveiled
(e) The “Roll of Honour” in John’s Methodist Church, High Street,Connah’s Quay. The plaque is of white marble situated on the right wall of the Church. This plaque was originally placed in Bethel Primitive Methodist Church, Chapel Street, Connah’s Quay. It was transferred to its present site in 1959 when the Bethel Chapel was closed and the congregation joined that of St John’s Methodist Church.
(f) On the North Wales Heroes Memorial, Bangor, Caernarfon.
Footnote: John Piercy Millington’s name is also inscribed on the Loos memorial, Pas de Calais. The cemetery is situated on the RN 43 on the Bethune to Lens rod at Loos-en-Gohelle, which is a village about 5 kilometres northwest of Lens. (See foot of page for more details)
Many thanks to Geoff for contributing to John’s story.
Many thanks to John Millington’s nephew Geoff Taylor for sharing all the images that appear on this page