On the Connah’s Quay & Shotton Cenotaph, there was only a surname and an initial, therefore I have no clue to this man at the moment, except that an A. Davies is remembered on a Memorial Tablet for the Wepre Presbyterian Church. If anyone can cast any light on this soldier, please get in touch, any information would be greatly appreciated.
This is not the same man as Arthur Raymond Davies, as Raymond Davies was remembered on the St. Mark’s Church Memorial, whereas an A. Davies is remembered on the Wepre Presbyterian Church memorial Tablet, it is highly unlikely he was going to 2 churches.
COUNTY HERALD 9th September 1919.
Memorial Tablet Unveiled
In connection with the Wepre Presbyterian Church there is a special memorial service on the occasion of the unveiling of a tablet erected to the memory of five worshippers of the church who fell in the war by their returned comrades. The memorial tablet is of Aberdeen granite and a most beautiful piece of work, carried out by Mr. E. JONES, Church Street, Connah’s Quay. The inscription on the tablet is as follows:–
“Erected to the glory of God and in loving memory of five worshippers of this Church who fell in the Great War, 1914-1919: 2nd Lieut. William WILLIAMS, who fell August 30th 1917: Corporal A. DAVIES, who fell July 15th 1917; Pte. J. JONES, who fell August 21st 1915; Pte. J. MILLINGTON, who fell September 25th 1915; Pte. M.H. GRIFFITHS, who fell February 25th 1919.”
There was a large and representative congregation, including the Chairman (Mr. J. ROBERTS, J.P.) and members of the Urban Council. — The Rev. J. Puleston JONES, M.A., preached an eloquent and powerful memorial service.
At the conclusion of the sermon the congregation sang that well known hymn, “Now the labourer’s task is o’er.! The Dedication lesson was read by Mr. J. FORBER, J.P., after which Madame Katie Peters HUGHES exquisitely rendered ” O rest in the Lord.” — Mr. J.T. HUMPHREYS, the senior deacon of the church, then delivered a short dedicatory address. He said : “We are met here this evening to dedicate this memorial to the glory of God and to the memory of five men who have fallen in the great war. They responded to their nation’s call in a time of great peril and danger to our country and our Allies, in the cause of righteousness, the sacredness of treaties, and the cause of weaker nations, when we were threatened by the greatest foe in the annals of history. A glorious victory has been obtained, and let us hope that when the League of Nations has been established war will be no more. These five men were worshippers in this church, and we rejoice to remember that they were all men of noble character. And we have reason to believe that they have been sustained during their trials and conflicts of faith in God. They have made the supreme sacrifice in the great cause. — Mrs. J.T. HUMPHREYS, assisted by Mr. Douglas ROBB, then performed the unveiling ceremony. — The Rev. J. Puleston JONES, M.A. offered the dedicatory prayer, which was followed by the singing of the Lord’s Prayer. The closing hymn, “Thou wast their Rock, then Fortress, and their Might, ” followed by the benediction and vesper hymn, brought a most impressive and memorable service to a close.