A total of soldiers from this area served their country, with having fallen and been commemorated on the Broughton (and Bretton) Memorial
The war Memorial inside St Mary’s Church in Broughton
The Broughton War Memorial above commemorates those men of the Broughton and Bretton area who died in both World Wars. It is located in St. Mary’s Church, Broughton, and was dedicated on November 11th, 1924.
This brass memorial plaque was once in the old Broughton Chapel at the bottom of The Warren. The chapel fell into disrepair and was sold. The plaque was removed and stored temporarily in the chapel at Penyffordd. The custodians of that chapel eventually contacted Mr Andrew Devine, Chairman of The War Memorial Hall in Broughton and asked him if he would like it for the Hall. He collected it and found it in a very sorry state. A member of the community has paid for the restoration as a gift to the village. It is now awaiting the completion of a painting and decorating job to be finished in the hall before it is once again mounted on the wall in all its new and shiny glory. (Thanks to Mr Devine for the photograph and story.) August 2016
Broughton (Welsh: Brychdyn) is a village in the community of Broughton and Bretton in Deeside, Flintshire. Between 1974 and 1996, it was part of the county of Clwyd. The community includes Hawarden Airport.