Young Theodore George

Theodore George Young was born on 12th March 1884 in Toronto.

Theodore’s parents Samuel and Catherine Louisa Einboden married on 1st January 1852 in York, Ontario. There is an image lower down of their marriage. (Permission granted to publish this image by the owner of a Public Family Tree on

The 1901 census for Canada on  shows that the Young family were living at 41, Hazelton Ave, Toronto, Canada. Head of the household, Samuel Young age 54, born 1869 in Newfoundland was a Builder by trade. He and his wife Catherine Louise age 49, born 1851 in Ontario had six children living at home, they were, Alfred age 24 born 1876, a Dry Goods Clerk by trade, Susannah age 19 born 1881, a Milliner, Thomas age 18 born 1882 a Plumber, Theodore age 17 born 1884 a Watchmaker, Jennie age 15 born 1885, Ethel age 14 born 1887.  All the children were born in Toronto. There was also a relative (niece) living at this address, she was Mary Martin age 28 born 1872 in Ontario, a Proof Reader by trade.

I cannot locate Theodore on the 1911 census but his family were still living at the same address with three children at home, Alfred age 34, Frances age 28 and Ethel age 22.

Attestation papers for Private 3214692 Theodore George Young, from the Library of Canada.

Theodore was drafted into the Canadian Army on 22nd June 1918 at Edmonton, Alberta. He gave his address as Box X Camrose, Alberta, next of kin, Mr. Samuel Young (Father) of 41, Hazelton Ave. Toronto Ontario, Religion, Methodist, of Single status, trade,Watchmaker.

After basic training in Canada, Theodore embarked from Quebec on 26th September 1918 aboard the S.S. Huntsend, arriving in England on 12th October 1918 when he was posted to Bramshott Army Camp to complete training. When it became obvious that hostilities were coming to an end, Theodore was transferred to Kinmel Army Camp in North Wales.

Kinmel Park Camp was a segregation camp used to house Canadian Soldiers awaiting repatriation to Canada after the end of WW1. Unfortunately the conditions at that time were extremely harsh with a lack of every kind of commodity, the camp was overcrowded and the services were poor, there were shortages of clothing, food and blankets. As a result of this situation, a vast number of servicemen and women became ill and many succumbed to the Influenza Epidemic or complications associated with this infection.

Sadly Theodore contracted Influenza and Acute Toxemia which resulted in Acute Heart Failure causing his death at 9.40 am on 23rd November 1918.

It should be noted however that upon reporting sick on parade on 22nd November 1918 Theodore was not admitted to hospital but ordered to report to Hut 34 to await the Medical Officer who took his temperature and advised him that it was normal, but to stay in the hut for a few days. By early evening his condition deteriorated and  L/Corpl 2622072 Lilleston  who was in charge of the hut sat with him until his condition again deteriorated. At 0200 hrs when he went to advise the Medical Officer. The Officer declined to attend Theodore as he stated that he could do no more for him. Theodore died at 9.40 the next morning.

You can read the transcript of the Court of Inquiry lower down the page.

Theodore left all his possessions to his father Samuel.

He is buried in St. Margaret’s Cemetery at Bodelwyddan, North Wales.

Theodore is commemorated on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial.

Learn more about the other soldiers on the Bodelwyddan Memorial

Back to top